While in some situations it is appropriate to hide or block portlets, sometimes it is preferable to completely delete a portlet.
Make sure that you are logged in to your site.
- Navigate to the page on which the portlet you want to delete was created. If you don't know where that is, you can start from any page on which it is visible.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for the Manage portlets button in the center of the page. Clicking on this button will bring you to the Portlet Management screen.
- On the Portlet Management screen, each portlet is represented by a grey box with an identifying title. Find the grey box that corresponds to the portlet you're looking for. Each portlet's title will be either the title displayed on the original page (like "Locations & Hours") or something indicating the type of portlet it is (for example "News", "Events", or "Navigation"). Portlets are listed in the order in which they appear on the page.
- Once you've found the portlet you're looking for, you can delete it by clicking on the X to the right of its name. If there is no X next to the portlet's name, this indicates that the portlet cannot be deleted from the current location. There are two possibilities:
- The portlet was created in a parent folder and must be deleted there. Under the title of the page, there will be a link that says Go to parent folder. Click this link to take you to the next folder up in the navigation and look for the X next to the portlet name again. You may have to go up multiple levels to find it, if you are in a nested folder (like "News & Events > Library Calendar > Teens").
- You are viewing the portlets for the default view of a folder, and the portlet was created in the folder itself. In this case, a link will appear in the center of the page above the title of the page, saying
Info You are managing the portlets of the default view of a container. If you wanted to manage the portlets of the container itself, go here.
click the go here link to take you to the Portlet Management screen for the folder. From here, you will be able to delete any portlets that were created in this location.
- Once you've removed the grey box for the portlet you wanted to delete, click the Return button just below the title in the middle of the screen to take you back to the original page to view the results and verify that the portlet has been successfully deleted.